Monday 13 May 2013

Innocent Because Beautiful

 The idea that the surviving Boston Bombing suspect must be innocent because he is "too beautiful" suggests that some girls take "not rooted in reality" to an extreme.

I have been pondering my high school days recently, and I am so glad that when I was a teenager, there were fewer ways to preserve evidence of the weird blips of one's juvenile brain. There was no texting, no tweeting, no blogging, no Facebook, no camera phones and very few tattoos for women. The worst you could do was write embarrassing letters, which could possibly be photocopied, but not sent to all the world with the touch of a button. To unburden one's teenage heart of its agonies and obsessions, one kept a diary. I still have all of mine, but if, in a storm of adolescent brain misfirings, I developed a crush on a suspected terrorist, no-one but me shall ever know.

5 comments:

Nzie said...

*facepalm* Yes, less evidence would be nice. I'm pretty certain I made a fool of myself on the internet a few times in high school... fortunately I never had sense as poor as these girls'.

Also, not for anything, how about being rooting in reality with regards to what information is available? Pictures and news stories ≠ the info the FBI has...

~Nzie

Christy said...

Nice post, very true observations. Like you, I was teenager before technoloy overcame us. I too kept a diary and still do at the tender age of 56. Basically, we humans are all mentally unstable and never more unstable than when we are in our teens. And apparently, now there will be an enduring digital footprint of teen angst and stupidity.

Pearlmusic said...

What came to my mind after reading this is that we should struggle to insist on "Beautiful Because Innocent" rather than "Innocent Because Beautiful"...

Sheila said...

I know, he's amazingly cute. But it just makes me sad. There's so many things he could have been and done, and he had to go and do THAT.

What a waste.

Seraphic said...

Urgh. I for one never found him cute.