Monday 30 May 2011

The New Button

Okay, it turns out Hilary White does not need a new flatmate at the moment. But she has invited me to come and hang whenever. I have received permission from my husband to go and hang with Hilary, just as long as we can afford it. It turns out we can't, since Ryan Air no longer has that handy-dandy £60 round trip flight to Ciampino.

Dear, dear, dear. In the best of all possible worlds, I would go and visit Hilary with B.A. because I like Hilary and I love B.A., and I don't like being away from B.A. for very long. But I don't like the idea of Hilary being bored and cancerous all on her own in Lazio because it turns out she is my evil twin.

This is not exactly how her friend Chris put it. How Chris put it was "You'll like Hilary. She's just like you." And then he texted Hilary and said "You'll like Seraphic. She's just like you." Meanwhile, I hung up my straw hat next to Hilary's straw hat, and straw hat ad strawam hatam loquitur.

Gold and silver have I none, I mused, when I saw that Ryan Air in June and July is not like Ryan Air in May, but what I do have is a blog. So if you have a couple of shekels you don't mind tossing into the "Visit Hilary" hat, I would be grateful. Don't toss too much per person, though, or I will wiggle with embarrassment.

Update: Thanks to those readers who have already put in a little (or not so little) something! Postcards will soon be winging their way to your PayPal addresses.

Renewed thanks also to those readers of yore who made donations or bought copies of Aelianus and the Widow back in 2008 so that I could go to Scotland to visit my British readers. Because of you I met B.A in person, so you made a HUGE difference to my life.

7 comments:

Hilary Jane Margaret White said...

I thnk there are other discountish flights going from places like Birmingham. Booking well ahead is the secret.

Seraphic said...

I will prevail--hopefully without having to go to Birmingham.

berenike said...

Birmingham has good benches for sleeping on if you are taking a horrible early flight. In the kind of upstairs gallery food bit.

Of course, you will spend more getting to Birmingham than you will on the plane ticket to Rome, unless there's a Megabus connection.

Hilary Jane Margaret White said...

...and the food is pretty good in that upstairs bit. Not too pricey and they'll give you roast beef and Yorkies.

Oh! I do SO miss English food!

Mrs McLean said...

Nope. I am taking the £30 4AM cab trip to Edinburgh airport again. I can face getting up at 3:45 AM, but not going all the way to Birmingham. Urg.

The Crescat said...

I'm glad you are going to visit and keep her company. Her cat, Winnie, didn't strike me as being overtly social.

berenike said...

The joy of cats :)